Monday, February 18, 2019

Galium boreale (Northern Bedstraw)


I only know of one example on the whole of Hutton Roof which is within a pavement on the Common itself.  I surprisingly discovered the plant here in 2014. There is a small population which covers a area of perhaps 4ft x 18". It is shadowed beneath a medium sized Ash tree. Each year I check to see if it has spread but not noticing anything by 2019.

Galium boreale (Northern Bedstraw) - Click over to enlarge

This photo above shows the extent of the single population on Hutton Roof 

Galium boreale (Northern Bedstraw) - Click over to enlarge

Although the species is more common to the North, I believe this is probably the most Southerly breeding population for this species in Cumbria and the South Lakes.  I do believe a single shoot was recorded back in 2005 in Gait Barrows.